Monday, April 22, 2013

Cluster Connections


Well it is a bit more than half way through the semester and so far every class in this cluster interacts with each other in certain aspects. A few of these aspects would be the fact in what the cluster is called generally, which is “Race and Culture”. Every book and almost every piece of writing that I’ve done are all related to the cluster title. The first reading which was by W.E.B Dubois, is a black man speaking about the significance of the “negro” in life during all of time, even ancient. Following that was “Slave and Citizen”, which made the whole sense of topic, “race” escalate by mainly focusing on the existence of slavery and the “negro”. Then we have our current piece of reading, “Untouchable” which defines the course title in a bold sense being of a race and a culture of which defines the book itself. All of this interacted well with the other classes solely on the fact that in other classes we talk generally about “race and culture” as it has developed to today self and as it was back then in comparison. In one class however it’s a bit different because the focus of topic is upon human sociology. Nevertheless, I realized this topic revolves well around “race and culture” because each ethnic background associates differently with each other. Not to mention the vast differences of cultures as well which also play key in the sociology of many different ethnic groups also.

As far as the relation of each class interacting with each other goes, my view of LaGuardia CC and my surroundings (neighborhood and NY) is more strengthened. By saying so I mean that I knew from the get-go that this school and state is the most diverse of all, but now actually being in a “race and culture” induced cluster of classes you obtain a sense of knowledge about the people that you walk past in the hallways and streets, as well as the ones you personally know. When I say “sense of knowledge” I solely mean the extent of which their ethnicity goes. Like the background of it as well as the culture of it. For example, my current piece of reading, “Untouchable” has shown me a different point of knowledge of the culture of my ancestors and the way of their life and how social classes interacted in the old days. Which kind of explains a sense of the ignorant negative differences between “East Indians” and “West Indians” being that the east frowns upon my kind (the west), but this is something I wouldn’t like to get into. Overall, this cluster is sculpting and shaping out a better vision of race and culture through my own eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment